13.5.13

American Kid

My all time favorite musician is Patty Griffin. She's a 49 year old little red headed lady who plays the guitar and write the most wonderful songs in the world. Just a few days ago, she came out with her latest record, American Kid. It's her first record of original material since 2007, so needless to say, I was beyond thrilled, counting down the days in fact. 


Patty starting writing this record as her Dad was suffering from an illness that would soon take his life. When listening to the record from that perspective, the love songs suddenly turn into deeper and sadder thoughts about the loss of a parent, a rock. One of my favorites on the record so far is called "Ohio", inspired by Toni Morrison's novel, Beloved.


Oh, did I mention her manfriend is Robert Plant?

Bob surprised me with a trip to Miami summer of 2010 to see The Band of Joy, one of Robert Plant's groups. Patty Griffin was his fellow singer and Buddy Miller was on guitar. It was basically my dream band. Our friends were playing in their opening act and not only got us back stage but also to the after party where I got to talk to Patty and Buddy for about 20 minutes. 
It was a big moment for me.


Before they became "public". Also, I think it's funny I caught Robert picking his nose.



When Bob met Robert, he introduced him self naturally, to which Robert responded "Bob. (pointing at Bob) Bob. (pointing at himself)". Needless to say, it was adorable and made us adore this gorgeous lion of a man even more.

Here is an excellent article in the Wallstreet Journal detailing Patty's new record along with a free preview of the all of the songs. Enjoy my friends.
iz

3 comments:

  1. That is a really fun story. Thanks for sharing. I knew Robert and Patty had been together for a while during Band of Joy but didn't know it was already going by Memphis lol. The new album is absolutely sublime and well worth the wait, even if I didn't think that was possible while I was actually waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! Glad you enjoyed the story, it will be one of those life long stories for me, a truly incredible moment. I agree that the album was SO worth the wait, Patty delivers every time!

      Delete
  2. I like the video. It's such a gift over the years to have watched her try to reckon with the world.

    ReplyDelete